Title IX Lawyer In Orlando, FloridaServing students & Faculty nationwide
An accusation resulting in a Title IX violation can severely affect your studies and your future career. It is crucial to choose an attorney who has the necessary knowledge and experience to help students through the campus process.
You can defend your right to access to your education and protect your future with the help of our Title IX lawyer in Orlando, FL. KJK Title IX Lawyers have represented students all over Alabama and nationwide facing Title IX allegations.
Possible Consequences of Title IX Accusations
According to Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance are not permitted to carry out discriminatory acts based on gender. A Title IX Lawyer in Orlando, FL can help you avoid these consequences and maximize the chances of a better outcome for your case.
A suspension is a serious interruption of studies, which can affect your future plans, including the possibility of being accepted by other universities for further studies. A gap in your academic transcript would not only make it difficult for you to transfer to another school but will also impact your ability to pursue graduate studies. Ultimately, a suspension affects your career prospects and other lifelong opportunities.
If you want to transfer to another university, they will ask for a signed FERPA form to release your records, which will include records of discipline. If you refuse to sign the release, they may not consider your application.
If you were to be expelled, it will show up on your college transcript. You will need to address your violation during an application process with a new prospective college. If you don’t disclose your disciplinary action and the school finds out about it from elsewhere, the school can revoke your acceptance.
- Degree Revocation
Some schools also reserve the right to revoke a student’s degree upon a finding of a Title IX (or related student misconduct) violation.
- Loss of Athletic Scholarship and Other Financial Assistance
As part of Title IX, all-female and male student-athletes may be entitled to scholarship awards proportional to their involvement in sports. If a student is found to have committed serious misconduct that requires a disciplinary penalty or renders themselves ineligible for intercollegiate competition, then the college can reduce or cancel the scholarship, according to the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Likewise, students receiving other forms of financial assistance are also at risk of losing that support.
- Loss of Eligibility
Students accused of Title IX violations, such as sexual harassment, may lose their eligibility to participate in college athletics. This could affect them not just academically, but also athletically and financially in terms of loss of scholarships or professional opportunities.
- Loss of Leadership Positions and Other Areas of Distinction
A Title IX finding of responsibility can result in a student being removed from leadership positions in student organizations or other programs. For example, a cadet participating in an ROTC program may face a disenrollment proceeding which could result in a loss of an academic scholarship, immediate repayment of the previously awarded scholarship and forfeiture of a military commission.
How We Can Help
Our team of attorneys offers counsel and student advising for college students. We will participate in disciplinary hearings, Title IX investigations and criminal court if you are charged with a misdemeanor or a felony associated with your misconduct.
Title IX Investigations
Your rights under Title IX allow you to be included in all aspects of the investigation of your case.
The investigation process includes:
- Notifying all parties involved
- Gathering evidence
- Reviewing all information
- Writing a report of findings
You are allowed to have an advisor of your choice, like a lawyer, present at all your meetings. Title IX gives you the right to review evidence gathered against you, and you will receive a copy of the investigation report when it is complete.
Investigations typically last around 60 days but may take longer if the allegations are more complex. There are no laws requiring the investigation to be completed in that time frame. The DOE Office for Civil Rights states the length of the investigation will vary depending on the number of incidents, complainants and witnesses.
Hold Colleges Accountable and Ensure You Receive Due Process and Fundamental Fairness
Due process is the set of rules to ensure all individuals involved in disputes are treated fairly. An attorney will protect your due process rights by making sure your college follows the federal guidelines. Our lawyers’ trial experience translates to a strong defense for you during the investigation and hearing.
Both party’s advisors can question witnesses and the other party about the alleged incident at a hearing. All questions must be relevant to the case, and advisors cannot ask questions about the complainant’s past sexual behavior. Cross-examination is an effective tool in testing the credibility of witnesses.
Hiring an attorney is beneficial in many ways. Here are some of the services your lawyer provides to help win your case:
- Gathering Evidence
A lawyer will help you collect evidence and find witnesses of the alleged incident to obtain their statements. Your lawyer will help you prepare for your interview as well as your opening statement for a Title IX hearing.
- Preventing and Pursuing Retaliation Claims
Any attempt to contact your accuser can be considered retaliation. Your lawyer will advise you not to email, text or see your accuser in person. You can also be responsible if a third party contacts your accuser. Similarly, if anyone retaliates against you merely due to the nature of the allegations in the Title IX case, your lawyer will assist in pursuing a retaliation claim on your behalf.
- Civil Suit Defense
Title IX violations can be used against you in a civil suit. You may be sued for damages by your accuser, even if you were not found responsible for a policy violation. Your attorney can help defend you in litigation.
- Defense Against Criminal Charges
Our lawyers are experienced at handling misdemeanor and felony criminal charges in court. If you are found in violation of a school policy and charged with a crime like sexual assault, your attorney already knows the details of your case and can help you mount a strong defense.
- Reputation Management & Content Removal
An attorney can work on repairing your reputation so that you can put the allegations behind you. Our team assists in reputation management by preparing a narrative to present to the court of public opinion. You don’t want allegations of sexual misconduct impacting your chances of future employment or your ability to enroll in higher education programs. An attorney can also assist in having defamatory online content removed.
Hire a Orlando Title IX Lawyer You Can Rely On
Our lawyers at KJK will help you navigate your school’s procedures regarding Title IX violations and any potential criminal charges. To find out how we can help you with your Title IX case, fill out our online contact form.
Orlando Title IX Attorney
Title IX accusations can have damaging effects on the student that is being put through an investigation. It can not only affect the studies of the student but can also carry into their career. Title IX is very serious, and you need to have appropriate representation for a proper defense. As Title IX attorneys in Orlando, we offer Title IX legal services to help with the process. We will be there through the investigation and even provide our own investigation.
The ramifications, if found guilty of a Title IX violation, can have a lifelong effect on the student’s life. This can lead to suspension and expulsion from the school. However, the student will have a difficult time finding another school that will accept them. There can be financial losses due to the loss of athletic scholarships or financial assistance.
Uncover the Magic of Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida is a city full of excitement, fun, and entertainment for visitors and locals alike. Orlando is 85 miles Northeast of Tampa and 235 North of Miami. Known as the “Theme Park Capital of the World,” Orlando boasts world-renowned attractions such as Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando Resort, and SeaWorld Orlando. However, the city has so much more to offer than just theme parks. Here are some of the top highlights and attractions in Orlando:
- Walt Disney World: Comprised of four theme parks, two water parks, and numerous hotels and resorts, Walt Disney World is the most popular tourist attraction in Orlando. Visitors can experience everything from thrilling rides to live shows to character meet-and-greets.
- Universal Orlando Resort: This resort features two theme parks, a water park, and several hotels. Popular attractions include The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, The Incredible Hulk Coaster, and Jurassic Park River Adventure.
- SeaWorld Orlando: This marine park offers exciting roller coasters, animal encounters, and shows featuring sea creatures like dolphins, whales, and sea lions.
- ICON Park: This outdoor entertainment complex features a 400-foot-tall observation wheel, restaurants, bars, and shops.
- Kennedy Space Center: Located about an hour’s drive from Orlando, the Kennedy Space Center offers visitors a chance to learn about space exploration, see rockets up close, and even meet astronauts.
- The Ravenous Pig: This farm-to-table restaurant offers creative cuisine with locally sourced ingredients.
- Victoria & Albert’s: Located in Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, this restaurant is one of Orlando’s most upscale dining experiences. The multi-course menu features French and American cuisine.
- Bull & Bear Steakhouse: Also located in the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, this restaurant offers a luxurious dining experience focusing on prime steaks and fresh seafood.
- Morimoto Asia: This Asian-inspired restaurant in Disney Springs features dishes from Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto.
- Se7en Bites: This bakery and restaurant in the Milk District is known for its delicious breakfast dishes, sandwiches, and baked goods.
- Orlando Museum of Art: This museum features a wide variety of art exhibitions, from contemporary to traditional.
- Harry P. Leu Gardens: This botanical garden is home to over 50 acres of lush gardens, a historic home, and a museum.
- Orange County Regional History Center: This museum explores the history of Central Florida, from its Native American roots to modern times.
- Orlando Science Center: This hands-on science museum features interactive exhibits on topics such as space, physics, and the human body.
- Lake Eola Park: Located in the heart of downtown Orlando, Lake Eola Park has a picturesque lake, walking paths, swan boats, and a weekly farmers market.
- Wekiwa Springs State Park: This state park, located just north of Orlando, offers hiking, kayaking, and swimming in natural springs.
- Harry P. Leu Gardens: Besides its museum, the gardens offer walking paths, a butterfly garden, and a rose garden.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom: This theme park is also a zoological park, featuring animals from around the world and educational experiences for visitors.
- Winter Park
- Lake Nona
- Baldwin Park
- Thornton Park
- College Park
- Mills 50 District
- Audubon Park
- Downtown Orlando
- The Milk District
- SoDo (South of Downtown)
Orlando has much more to offer than just theme parks. Visitors and locals alike can enjoy a variety of attractions, restaurants, museums, and parks throughout the city.
While enjoying yourself, leave your case to a qualified Title IX Attorney in Florida Call today.
A Client’s Tips For Facing A Title IX Investigation
I OFFER THE FOLLOWING TIPS
For students who may be involved in a Title IX or related matter, I offer the following tips. First, I recommend that you call a Title IX lawyer before you make any other move. Following that step, one should consider staying away from public statements on the matter. I also recommend that this public silence be countered with engagement in therapy and frequent self-care. Similarly, reach out to the appropriate contact at your school to coordinate supportive measures so that you may continue with your academics. Establishing a list of hobbies and rituals to ground myself was incredibly helpful throughout the ups and downs of the case.
See What Our CLients are Saying about our title ix attorneys
We will be forever grateful to you for engaging with us to assist our son...
Kristina and Susan are very competent ...
Susan Stone and Kristina Supler represented our male college freshman...
against a false Title IX claim of non-consensual sexual intercourse. Current Title IX laws are strongly slanted in the accuser’s favor, and our son was denied due process by the university. This legal team expertly highlighted the accuser’s false accusations, while exposing the university’s many inconsistencies. They were there when we needed them – quick to take our phone calls or respond to our questions and concerns. Without their expert legal advice, our son would have likely been another silent and unfortunate victim of current Title IX university policies. We give Susan and Kristina the highest of recommendations!
I was a member of a fraternity at a public university...
that was kicked off campus for reported hazing. My involvement with the fraternity was unaware of any misdeeds being done, and was shocked when the school charged me with failure to report hazing. That’s when I contacted Susan and Kristina, who were extremely helpful and wonderful to work with. Thanks to them they helped guide me through collecting proof of my innocence, which ended up leading to the result we wanted of no charges against me. I highly recommend their service to anyone who might need it!
You are the utmost professional counselor...
ServicesK-12 Student Defense
KJK’s Student & Athlete Defense practice group is here to protect your child’s future. Defending students of all ages, our team is here to make sure your family is given fair treatment when it comes to disciplinary actions issued by your school district.
Does Title IX Apply to Sexual Assault Allegations During Spring Break?
Let’s start by making this clear right off the bat: No matter the time of year or occasion, Title IX always applies to educational institutions and never takes a break. But what about when you’re away on break? We confess - we have mixed feelings about spring...
Anonymous Ghost From Title IX Past Cancels Bachelor Contestant
“Bachelor Nation” fans are not new to controversy resulting in reputations being destroyed or “canceled.” Not long ago, beloved Bachelor host Chris Harrison was forced out of the Bachelor franchise after defending a contestant who had attended an antebellum-themed...
Expanding Pseudonym Filings Beyond Title IX Lawsuits
Moving John Doe Off Campus: Expanding Pseudonym Filings Beyond Title IX Lawsuits We sue educational institutions when our clients have been wrongfully expelled or suspended for violating a college’s Title IX sexual misconduct policy. When we file...